Thursday, May 10, 2012

Let's Be Real for a Second

After a couple nice conversations with a couple of people I'm close to yesterday, I got to thinking. Often, we judge someone based on their actions. The infamous phrase "Actions speak louder than words" comes to mind when thinking about this. However, after thinking about this, I don't necessarily believe this is true. Yes, I think a person's actions are more of an indicator of character than their words, because it is really easy to lie, however I don't think that is the most important thing. I think it is very easy for someone to have the best intentions going into a decision, and have that decision blow up in their face. So yes, maybe actions speak louder than words, but when those actions are driven by good intentions, even if they have unintended consequences, how can I, or anyone else, judge that person as being "good" or not? It all comes back to an idea that no one is perfect. I sure as hell am not perfect. Sometimes I've gone into a situation with the best intentions, but have had my actions turn out to be the absolutely worst choice I could have made. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, so I realize those mistakes now, and all I can do is hope to learn from those mistakes so that my true intentions can be seen through my actions in the future. So, as I step off from my soapbox, I'll leave you with one idea to take with you for the rest of the day: perhaps peoples' actions seem to be stupid, or have negative outcomes, but are their intentions noble or just? If you don't know, think twice before judging them or becoming angry at them. The worst feeling in the world can be when your good intentions end up with bad consequences, and people hate you for it.


~The Prez~

No comments:

Post a Comment